Saturday, July 21, 2007

Whats really in Dubai? part 2


So what’s really in Dubai? Except for the fact that it rhymes with my name, Dubai is the next big thing. They say that Americans has a weird love for anything big, Dubai HAS everything big. Airport is huge! We had to take another bus just to get to the exit. And what do you know? There was traffic inside the airport! Haha. As soon as I stepped out of the airport, the heat of the desert in the summer crept up my skin. It is really hot. When we left Tampere, it was 20 degrees and everyone was already out sunbathing. Dubai? No match! 40 degrees! Back to big, SUVs are everywhere. And most of the drivers are maniacs! Really. I thought that after living in Manila, jeepney drivers are the worst, hail to the new King of the road. Houses, you’d think that the whole of Dubai is either Makati’s CBD, and/or Forbes Park. And the soon to be tallest building in the world is now almost finished.
First thing Toni did was to take us to a grocery to buy some essentials. And since I found freshly cooked food, I opted to get a take out so its easier to just go straight to bed after meals. First thing I noticed? Counter peeps were Pinoys. Cashiers? Pinoys too. I feel like am back in Manila than in a city in the middle of the desert. Pinoys are just everywhere. From nannys to baristas to food court attendants, receptionists. Pinoys everywhere!
Toni’s been living in a rented room in a villa in a place called Al Barsha 3. Its just a room, with own toilet and bath. Not even a kitchen. But with a decent sofa, TV set, ref and freezer, microwave and a queen size bed. Ceilings are very high, cabinets are made for giants. And the neighbors, not so considerate! Adding insult to injury I may say, this villa is situated a block from the mosque. Which of course, as many of you know, they pray here at least 5 times a day, with matching mega phones. Even in the middle of the night. Toni complained this to me a few times, but now he got used to it. My first night, it didn’t bother me at all, I think because am too exhausted to be awakened by it. My second night, our inconsiderate neighbor just below us, started hammering away in the middle of the night! My third night, I am now awakened by the guy on the mega phone praying at the mosque, which by the way sounded like the tune on the new coke commercial in Finland. And it doesn’t end there. As I write this offline, of course, the obnoxious neighbor across our room, started drilling on her concrete wall at 11pm! What a nightmare this place is turning out. Not to mention, that while Toni was trying to get some sleep earlier in prep for his night shift, the inconsiderate neighbor knocked to borrow a lighter that she didn’t even return. No I don’t complain a lot, I am just very keen to point out the mistakes of others in an exasperated tone!

No comments: