Saturday, July 21, 2007

What really is in Dubai???

Sitting in our 25sqm. Room trying not to make a noise at 5:30pm isn’t what I had in my to-do list when I get to Dubai. But well, Toni has to work tonight so he’s trying to steal some rest. And yes, I will start off again with my airline complaints, thank you very much!

My first time at British Airways and am not so happy about it. I’d give it an overall 7. Crew just kept on chatting up with each other and not really listening much to what the passengers were saying. One crew who looked like an Indian came to me for drinks. I asked that she put water in Rias bottle and an apple juice for me. Glad I was looking for she was about to put the apple juice in the water bottle, and when I said “nooo”, she even replied with an airy tone “but you said water and apple juice!” Who on earth drinks ready to drink apple juice with water??? And all this time she was blabbering with another crew who looks like he was late for the gay parade. I have no problems with gays, having more than a dozen or so gay friends myself. But really, they should do their jobs during work hours.

My first time at Virgin Atlantic, and I will try not to take it again. I’d give it an overall 5. First, when we got to the Virgin Atlantic counter, we were told that the gate was already closed. Apparently, it closes an hour before the flight, or so we were told. And that it was our agents mistake booking flights that only has 2 hours waiting time, coz we are going to miss our flight. But Bernadette (the lady in the counter) tried to get us some seats. Which I believe was confirmed to us in the first place. So, after a long 20 minutes waiting for Bernadette to put in our details to this flight (now being helped by the lady seated next to her) she told us to run to gate 40 which is literally on the other side of Heathrow airport. So run we did, while Ria cries that she cannot run anymore, with me carrying my handbag, Rias bag and another bag filled with my duty free shoppings. Luckily, we found an airport car just waiting there, and asked if we could get a ride to gate 40. It was really a long jog to gate 40 from where we started. Coz it still took 5 minutes with the airport car to get there. And for all we know, there was still a long queue to gate 40. It hasn’t closed yet! (Were we really lucky, or Bernadette was just pulling our legs?) So on we go. Happy that we made it, and we took our seats 51 E and D. Finally settled, here comes a middle-aged couple who has the same seat number as ours!!! Wadafak? Well, I need not worry about it, coz they were given another seat anyways. Cabin crews were overly friendly. I would prefer that they just go on about their work without extra chattering coz really, if I would want to chat with them, I would meet them in a coffee shop, not while am flying without a wink of sleep, criss crossing European waters and the desert.

4 comments:

Thorsten said...

Hei apple,

nice stories :-) but just try to relax a bit more next time, normally flying means beginning of holiday and you complain about crew members who offer you a friendly chat, are you afraid of flying?
And btw. my favorite drink for summers is apple juice mixed with sparkling water. its called Apfelschorle in Germany and everyone drinks it. :-)

Omppu Laamanen said...

No, am not afraid of flying, otherwise I would have taken the boat. Traveling with a 4 yr old is no picnic man! You don't just worry about your own tiredness, but you have to deal with the crankiness of a child forced to travel without decent sleep.

macali said...

welldone you read most of your experience in borj.

Anonymous said...

My January 2006 trip to Dubai was unexpected in that I never really imagined myself ever traveling to the Middle East until I got a call from one of my company's regional administrators about a week before Christmas, asking me if I'd travel to Dubai in January to assist with some bus transit planning efforts. I agreed and, in early January, off I went to the sands of Arabia.

Although, the sand there is quickly being replaced with skyscrapers, highways, shopping malls and golf courses. As a recent article in The Guardian reports, Dubai is the fastest-growing city in the world. The amount of development currently underway there is, in fact, nothing short of mind-boggling. Literally hundreds of high-rise buildings are currently under construction, including the Burj Dubai, which will be the tallest building in the world once it is completed. It is said that sixteen percent of the world's supply of high-rise construction cranes is currently located in Dubai. Such a claim is hard to verify, but the Dubai skyline is nevertheless dotted with cranes. Office buildings as well as residential towers are being built at a feverish pace, with much of the construction occurring in specific developments with names like "Healthcare City," "Knowledge Village" or "Festival City." Then there's the stuff being built right off the coast: the three man-made palm-shaped islands currently under construction, or the artificial archipelago being made in the form of the world. It all really has to be seen first-hand in order to be believed. ...


Cheers,
Ben